Greens at Montgomerie-designed course come in for criticism
Paul Casey insists Colin Montgomerie is likely to be fielding questions from some unhappy golfers in Bahrain this week.
The Englishman is part of the field competing at this week's Volvo Golf Champions event in the Gulf state which is taking place over the Montgomerie-designed Royal Club.
The severe greens at the lay-out have already come in for much discussion with Ian Poulter describing them as "unique".
Casey believes that the putting surfaces are simply too treacherous, stating: "I think everybody knows Monty's going to get it in the neck this week.
"We've got a very good course from tee to green. It's in wonderful condition and requires great ball-striking.
"The greens are very, very severe and you're going to hear a lot from the pros maybe complaining about it.
"But ultimately we've got to figure a way round. I think the people who are going to be on the leaderboard will be those who put that to one side and don't worry about bickering about the course.
The Englishman is part of the field competing at this week's Volvo Golf Champions event in the Gulf state which is taking place over the Montgomerie-designed Royal Club.
The severe greens at the lay-out have already come in for much discussion with Ian Poulter describing them as "unique".
Casey believes that the putting surfaces are simply too treacherous, stating: "I think everybody knows Monty's going to get it in the neck this week.
"We've got a very good course from tee to green. It's in wonderful condition and requires great ball-striking.
"The greens are very, very severe and you're going to hear a lot from the pros maybe complaining about it.
"But ultimately we've got to figure a way round. I think the people who are going to be on the leaderboard will be those who put that to one side and don't worry about bickering about the course.
Strange things
"Strange things will happen, but somebody will win and I want my 11th European tour victory.
"You have to have a sense of humour. It's good to have one when you play golf anyway, no matter where it is.
"You just have to roll with the punches - you will hit good shots and the next thing you know it's rolling off the green.
"It's going to happen, but there are no windmills out there!"
Casey kicked off his 2011 campaign with an 18th-placed finish in Abu Dhabi on Sunday, but is hopeful he can improve on that result this week.
"I'm playing okay, but I'm a bit rusty still," he added. "I don't quite have the control I would like.
"I know it's early in the season, but I worked hard in the off-season and I expected a bit more from myself last week. It's a work in progress right now."

Post a Comment