South African to take on Olympic medallist
Heavyweight prospect David Price returns to the ring on February 5 when he takes on Osborne Machimana in a Commonwealth title eliminator.
The Olympic bronze medallist has been billed as a future great by promoter Frank Maloney, who has been struggling to find the right opponents for his unbeaten charge.
But South African Machimana is considered to be a step up on the level of fighters Price has despatched so far in his 8-0 pro career, having defended his national title six times.
"I had Frans Botha lined-up to fight David, but he was refused permission to box here by the British Boxing Board of Control," said Maloney.
"I am very happy with Machimana who is a winning fighter and a man I expect to show plenty of desire.
"After this fight I want David to meet one of Britain's best and make sure he is in the mix to win a Lonsdale belt.
"People have been critical of the opponents I have picked for David, but there can be no more complaints over this opponent.
"The critics can say what they want about me, but I will stand by my track record of building up heavyweights and delivering the right fights at the right time."
The main event of the evening at the Brentwood Centre sees Jason Booth take on Jamie Arthur with the British and Commonwealth titles on the line.
The Olympic bronze medallist has been billed as a future great by promoter Frank Maloney, who has been struggling to find the right opponents for his unbeaten charge.
But South African Machimana is considered to be a step up on the level of fighters Price has despatched so far in his 8-0 pro career, having defended his national title six times.
"I had Frans Botha lined-up to fight David, but he was refused permission to box here by the British Boxing Board of Control," said Maloney.
"I am very happy with Machimana who is a winning fighter and a man I expect to show plenty of desire.
"After this fight I want David to meet one of Britain's best and make sure he is in the mix to win a Lonsdale belt.
"People have been critical of the opponents I have picked for David, but there can be no more complaints over this opponent.
"The critics can say what they want about me, but I will stand by my track record of building up heavyweights and delivering the right fights at the right time."
The main event of the evening at the Brentwood Centre sees Jason Booth take on Jamie Arthur with the British and Commonwealth titles on the line.

Post a Comment