When Korean superstar Park Ji-sung takes the field on Saturday against Iran, he will be poised on the threshold of a personal record.
The match against Iran is Park’s 99th international A-match and if the Taeguk Warriors win he will have the chance to mark his century of international appearances by lifting the coveted AFC Asian Cup trophy, a feat no Korea Republic captain has done since 1960.
“Obviously it will be a great honour to play the 100th game for the national team in a major tournament (like the AFC Asian Cup),” Park, 29, said.
The Manchester United midfielder had strongly hinted at his retirement from international football after the AFC Asian Cup but recent media reports have said he is in two minds.
“It will be a very special Asian Cup for me,” Park had told the media upon his arrival here before the start of the competition.
“I do not have much time left in the international game. This makes me want to win the Asian Cup more than ever before.”
But when quizzed by the media on Thursday, all Park had to say was: “At the moment I can’t say anything. I will talk after the Asian Cup.”
“Obviously it will be a great honour to play the 100th game for the national team in a major tournament (like the AFC Asian Cup),” Park, 29, said.
The Manchester United midfielder had strongly hinted at his retirement from international football after the AFC Asian Cup but recent media reports have said he is in two minds.
“It will be a very special Asian Cup for me,” Park had told the media upon his arrival here before the start of the competition.
“I do not have much time left in the international game. This makes me want to win the Asian Cup more than ever before.”
But when quizzed by the media on Thursday, all Park had to say was: “At the moment I can’t say anything. I will talk after the Asian Cup.”

Post a Comment