Saracens grant Wales centre a release from contract
Gavin Henson has been released by Saracens to pave the way for the former Wales international to complete a move to Toulon.
The Aviva Premiership outfit signed the 29-year-old in October after he had been on unpaid leave from Ospreys for the previous 18 months.
He made his debut over the festive period but suffered a torn calf muscle last month, scuppering hopes of an early return to the Wales squad.
Reports suggested the 29-year-old was set to join the French Top 14 side on a short-term deal, but on Wednesday evening Saracens confirmed the move was permanent.
Chairman Nigel Wray said: "Gavin Henson has asked to be released from his contract with Saracens with immediate effect. The club has agreed to this request.
"We wish Gavin all the best for the future as he continues his return to the highest level of the game."
Henson had been frustrated at not being given enough game time at Saracens as he looked to put himself in the frame for a place in Warren Gatland's Six Nations squad.
He made just one start, an anonymous 53-minute outing in the Premiership defeat to Sale at Edgeley Park.
Playmaker
"I need to be starting for Saracens to be in the Wales squad," he said last month.
"I was hoping it would be in time for next month, but I am running out of time. I like to play inside centre, a playmaker role and get the ball in the hand a lot more.
"That's quite tough at the moment, but I am doing everything I can to try to hopefully make the coach select me as a 10 or 12.
"I have hardly played, but I would like to think I will be good when I get my chance. I think that my skills are there. I just need game time."
Toulon have the space in their squad to accommodate Henson as they have lost Felipe Contepomi to injury and Jonny Wilkinson is away on Six Nations duty with England.
That would potentially allow Henson to play in his preferred roles and boost his chances of making a first World Cup appearance in New Zealand later this year.
The Aviva Premiership outfit signed the 29-year-old in October after he had been on unpaid leave from Ospreys for the previous 18 months.
He made his debut over the festive period but suffered a torn calf muscle last month, scuppering hopes of an early return to the Wales squad.
Reports suggested the 29-year-old was set to join the French Top 14 side on a short-term deal, but on Wednesday evening Saracens confirmed the move was permanent.
Chairman Nigel Wray said: "Gavin Henson has asked to be released from his contract with Saracens with immediate effect. The club has agreed to this request.
"We wish Gavin all the best for the future as he continues his return to the highest level of the game."
Henson had been frustrated at not being given enough game time at Saracens as he looked to put himself in the frame for a place in Warren Gatland's Six Nations squad.
He made just one start, an anonymous 53-minute outing in the Premiership defeat to Sale at Edgeley Park.
Playmaker
"I need to be starting for Saracens to be in the Wales squad," he said last month.
"I was hoping it would be in time for next month, but I am running out of time. I like to play inside centre, a playmaker role and get the ball in the hand a lot more.
"That's quite tough at the moment, but I am doing everything I can to try to hopefully make the coach select me as a 10 or 12.
"I have hardly played, but I would like to think I will be good when I get my chance. I think that my skills are there. I just need game time."
Toulon have the space in their squad to accommodate Henson as they have lost Felipe Contepomi to injury and Jonny Wilkinson is away on Six Nations duty with England.
That would potentially allow Henson to play in his preferred roles and boost his chances of making a first World Cup appearance in New Zealand later this year.

Post a Comment