Renault driver sets quickest time of the week as Button gets to grip with new tyres
Renault's Robert Kubica emerged quickest on the third and final day of Formula One's first pre-season test in Valencia.
The Pole lapped the 4.005-km Ricardo Tormo circuit in one minute 13.144 seconds, setting the quickest time seen at the track all week in the team's R31, which features an innovative forward exhaust system.
Force India's Adrian Sutil was second fastest just 0.057 seconds slower in last year's car, with McLaren's Jenson Button third on his first outing of 2011.
The 2009 world champion completed 105 laps, also in an interim car - McLaren's new chassis, the MP4-26, is officially launched on Friday - and said his first impressions of F1's new Pirelli tyres were that they might help his qualifying performance this year.
"I like the feeling of the tyre," said Button.
"It has a stable rear when you enter high-speed corners, a stable rear when you brake for low-speed corners, and that is something I really do need with the car. I am happy with that step.
"In quite a few races last year I wasn't happy with my qualifying performance, but in the races we were very competitive.
"It is an area I need to work on, but all we can do off the circuit is try and improve areas that I think will help me.
"One area I think is that with Pirelli we have a tyre that maybe suits me more than the previous tyre we had.
"We have to wait and see, but I think that may be the case. I also think the work we are doing at the factory is positive."
Productive
Behind the leading trio Mark Webber had a more productive day in the new Red Bull, the RB7, following Wednesday's showing when he was hampered in his afternoon run by a master cylinder failure.
The Australian completed 105 laps, with his best a 1:13.936, and was followed by Felipe Massa as he sampled the new Ferrari F150 for the first time, with the Brazilian's best a 1:14.017.
However, Massa's morning run was disrupted by a fire caused when oil leaked on to his car's exhaust.
Although Michael Schumacher was 1.393secs off the pace on Thursday in ninth place, Mercedes GP team principal Ross Brawn said he was happy with the test.
"We're starting to get an insight into the car's behaviour and its responses to various set-up changes are proving to be very consistent," Brawn said.
"After a few difficulties at the start of the test, we have finished with a strong day providing plenty of data and options to take forward to the next test."
The second test, when McLaren's new car will have it first serious outing, takes place in Jerez for four days from next Thursday.
Times:
1. Robert Kubica Renault 1:13.144 96 laps
2. Adrian Sutil Force India Mercedes 1:13.201 +0.057 117 laps
3. Jenson Button McLaren Mercedes 1:13.553 0.409 105 laps
4. Mark Webber Red Bull Renault 1:13.936 +0.792 105 laps
5. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1:14.017 +0.873 80 laps
6. Timo Glock Virgin Cosworth 1:14.207 +1.063 114 laps
7. Pastor Maldonado Williams Cosworth 1:14.299 + 1.155 101 laps
8. Sergio Perez Sauber Ferrari 1:14.458 +1.314 104 laps
9. Michael Schumacher Mercedes 1:14.537 +1.393 110 laps
10. Sebastien Buemi Toro Rosso Ferrari 1:14.801 + 1.657 73 laps
11. Narain Karthikeyan HRT Cosworth 1:16.535 +3.391 63 laps
12. Jarno Trulli Team Lotus 1:17.648 +4.504 38 laps
All times unofficial
Renault's Robert Kubica emerged quickest on the third and final day of Formula One's first pre-season test in Valencia.
The Pole lapped the 4.005-km Ricardo Tormo circuit in one minute 13.144 seconds, setting the quickest time seen at the track all week in the team's R31, which features an innovative forward exhaust system.
Force India's Adrian Sutil was second fastest just 0.057 seconds slower in last year's car, with McLaren's Jenson Button third on his first outing of 2011.
The 2009 world champion completed 105 laps, also in an interim car - McLaren's new chassis, the MP4-26, is officially launched on Friday - and said his first impressions of F1's new Pirelli tyres were that they might help his qualifying performance this year.
"I like the feeling of the tyre," said Button.
"It has a stable rear when you enter high-speed corners, a stable rear when you brake for low-speed corners, and that is something I really do need with the car. I am happy with that step.
"In quite a few races last year I wasn't happy with my qualifying performance, but in the races we were very competitive.
"It is an area I need to work on, but all we can do off the circuit is try and improve areas that I think will help me.
"One area I think is that with Pirelli we have a tyre that maybe suits me more than the previous tyre we had.
"We have to wait and see, but I think that may be the case. I also think the work we are doing at the factory is positive."
Productive
Behind the leading trio Mark Webber had a more productive day in the new Red Bull, the RB7, following Wednesday's showing when he was hampered in his afternoon run by a master cylinder failure.
The Australian completed 105 laps, with his best a 1:13.936, and was followed by Felipe Massa as he sampled the new Ferrari F150 for the first time, with the Brazilian's best a 1:14.017.
However, Massa's morning run was disrupted by a fire caused when oil leaked on to his car's exhaust.
Although Michael Schumacher was 1.393secs off the pace on Thursday in ninth place, Mercedes GP team principal Ross Brawn said he was happy with the test.
"We're starting to get an insight into the car's behaviour and its responses to various set-up changes are proving to be very consistent," Brawn said.
"After a few difficulties at the start of the test, we have finished with a strong day providing plenty of data and options to take forward to the next test."
The second test, when McLaren's new car will have it first serious outing, takes place in Jerez for four days from next Thursday.
Times:
1. Robert Kubica Renault 1:13.144 96 laps
2. Adrian Sutil Force India Mercedes 1:13.201 +0.057 117 laps
3. Jenson Button McLaren Mercedes 1:13.553 0.409 105 laps
4. Mark Webber Red Bull Renault 1:13.936 +0.792 105 laps
5. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1:14.017 +0.873 80 laps
6. Timo Glock Virgin Cosworth 1:14.207 +1.063 114 laps
7. Pastor Maldonado Williams Cosworth 1:14.299 + 1.155 101 laps
8. Sergio Perez Sauber Ferrari 1:14.458 +1.314 104 laps
9. Michael Schumacher Mercedes 1:14.537 +1.393 110 laps
10. Sebastien Buemi Toro Rosso Ferrari 1:14.801 + 1.657 73 laps
11. Narain Karthikeyan HRT Cosworth 1:16.535 +3.391 63 laps
12. Jarno Trulli Team Lotus 1:17.648 +4.504 38 laps
All times unofficial

Post a Comment