Batsman looking to make the most of late call-up
Adam Voges is hoping for the chance to make his mark on the international scene after being called into the Australia squad for the final ODI against England.
The Aussies have opted to rest Michael Clarke and Shane Watson for the final game of the series as they head to Perth with a 5-1 lead.
And with Steven Smith bothered by a hip injury, 31-year-old Voges has been drafted in as cover, some 11 months after playing in his last one-dayer.
However, he has been in good form for Western Australia and will relish an outing on his home ground.
"I don't think I've let anyone down when I've played for Australia," he said.
"I've had a few limited opportunities, they've mainly been through injury, and when guys have come back through injury I've been pushed aside, which is fair enough.
"All I can do is hopefully get a game first, there's obviously a squad of 13, but batting out there on the WACA, hopefully I can make the most of this one."
Voges admits he has slipped down the pecking order in recent seasons but with Mike Hussey sidelined following hamstring surgery and Shaun Marsh out with a similar problem, he could make a late case for World Cup inclusion.
"I certainly didn't give up hope of playing again (for Australia)," he said. "Obviously this is the last one-day game of the summer so chances were probably running out before the World Cup."
"(So) it's a timely phone call. All I've been able to do is train hard, play as well as I can for WA and now I get another chance which is great."
The Aussies have opted to rest Michael Clarke and Shane Watson for the final game of the series as they head to Perth with a 5-1 lead.
And with Steven Smith bothered by a hip injury, 31-year-old Voges has been drafted in as cover, some 11 months after playing in his last one-dayer.
However, he has been in good form for Western Australia and will relish an outing on his home ground.
"I don't think I've let anyone down when I've played for Australia," he said.
"I've had a few limited opportunities, they've mainly been through injury, and when guys have come back through injury I've been pushed aside, which is fair enough.
"All I can do is hopefully get a game first, there's obviously a squad of 13, but batting out there on the WACA, hopefully I can make the most of this one."
Voges admits he has slipped down the pecking order in recent seasons but with Mike Hussey sidelined following hamstring surgery and Shaun Marsh out with a similar problem, he could make a late case for World Cup inclusion.
"I certainly didn't give up hope of playing again (for Australia)," he said. "Obviously this is the last one-day game of the summer so chances were probably running out before the World Cup."
"(So) it's a timely phone call. All I've been able to do is train hard, play as well as I can for WA and now I get another chance which is great."

Post a Comment