Headlines News :
Home » , , » Mortaza mourns omission

Mortaza mourns omission

Written By Sizzling LEO on Thursday, January 20, 2011 | 5:38 AM

Fans reveal displeasure at paceman's cup absence

An emotional Mashrafe Mortaza spoke of his disappointment at being omitted from the Bangladesh World Cup squad - as fans rioted following the news.

Protesters in Mortaza's home town of Narail burnt an effigy of coach Jamie Siddons and vandalised vehicles during a general half-day general strike in the area some 300km southwest of Dhaka.

Mortaza is Bangladesh's most successful quick bowler with 146 wickets in 118 one-day international apopearances, but is struggling to overcome a knee injury picked up before Christmas.

The 27-year-old was confident of regaining fitness and form in time for the tournament which starts on February 19, but the selectors thought otherwise.

"Of course, this is not an occasion to savour. I must say this is the most painful day in my life," Mortaza said as he choked back the tears.

"I was 100 percent confident of regaining my fitness. However, this is life and I am quite accustomed to it.

"I respect their decision and you can say this is just bad luck."
Share this post :

Post a Comment

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. Sports Danka - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger