Scot ready to make impact at the biggest tournaments
Andy Murray admits it is time that he made an impact on the domination of Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal at the grand slams.
The world's top two players have walked away with 21 or the last 23 majors on offer with Novak Djokovic's win in Melbourne and Juan Martin Del Potro's triumph at the US Open in 2009 the only interruptions to that sequence.
Murray and Djokovic have emerged as the two men pushing hardest to break their hegemony and the Scot feels they must now step up their performance in the biggest tournaments.
"I think I have played well against Roger, Novak and Rafa," he stated. "I've had a lot of close matches with Rafa and a lot of good wins against Roger. I haven't played Novak for quite a long time.
"I think everyone does beat everyone.
"I just think Roger and Rafa have been better in the slams and that is something that Novak and I want to change."
Nadal will not be adding to his tally of grand slam wins in Melbourne after succumbing in straight sets to David Ferrer in the quarter-finals when hampered by an early hamstring injury.
The Spaniard was looking to become the first man since Rod Laver in 1969 to hold all four major titles simultaneously and his exit looks to have boosted Murray's hopes considerably.
But with Federer - his conqueror in the final 12 months ago - and Djokovic also left in the draw, the Scot concedes it is a tough era in which to join the grand slam winner's elite club.
The world's top two players have walked away with 21 or the last 23 majors on offer with Novak Djokovic's win in Melbourne and Juan Martin Del Potro's triumph at the US Open in 2009 the only interruptions to that sequence.
Murray and Djokovic have emerged as the two men pushing hardest to break their hegemony and the Scot feels they must now step up their performance in the biggest tournaments.
"I think I have played well against Roger, Novak and Rafa," he stated. "I've had a lot of close matches with Rafa and a lot of good wins against Roger. I haven't played Novak for quite a long time.
"I think everyone does beat everyone.
"I just think Roger and Rafa have been better in the slams and that is something that Novak and I want to change."
Nadal will not be adding to his tally of grand slam wins in Melbourne after succumbing in straight sets to David Ferrer in the quarter-finals when hampered by an early hamstring injury.
The Spaniard was looking to become the first man since Rod Laver in 1969 to hold all four major titles simultaneously and his exit looks to have boosted Murray's hopes considerably.
But with Federer - his conqueror in the final 12 months ago - and Djokovic also left in the draw, the Scot concedes it is a tough era in which to join the grand slam winner's elite club.
Strength in depth
"I think the depth is very, very strong in the men's game but I also think it has become more physical," he added.
"It's difficult throughout the whole year, because it's a long one, to play your best tennis.
"So sometimes, guys like Roger and Rafa, they have losses in lesser events that maybe Roger didn't have before because the game has become very physical.
"But Roger and Rafa play their best tennis at the big moments.
"The depth is still very strong though.
"Dolgopolov was 46 in the world yet he's a lot better than that."
However, Murray feels his game is in better shape 12 months on although he admits the improvements may not be easily apparent.
"I think I'm hitting the ball bigger than I was last year," he said.
"I think a lot of the things can be quite subtle differences. I don't think there's any major change.
"I don't see many major changes in any of the guys at the top of the game. But you just try to become more consistent, have less weaknesses.
"I think this year I'm a little bit more solid."

Post a Comment