Headlines News :
Home » , » Soderling slides into round four

Soderling slides into round four

Written By Sizzling LEO on Saturday, January 22, 2011 | 2:55 AM

Fourth seed posts another routine win as fellow seeds fall by wayside

Robin Soderling's collision course with Andy Murray moved a step closer to fruition after his third round victory at the Australian Open.

The number four seed remains on schedule to face the British hope - who earlier booked his place in the fourth round - as the Swede eased into the second week at Melbourne Park for the first time of his career.

Soderling, who usurped Murray in the rankings before the start of the tournament, left unseeded Jan Hernych in his wake with a straightforward success on Hisense Arena.

Soderling, who won 6-3 6-1 6-4, was pleased with his progress so far and how quickly he has been able to get off court.

"Three matches and I haven't lost a set yet," the world number four said.

"There's still a couple of things I need to improve, I know I can play much better, but overall it's been pretty good.

"Physically I feel very good. I haven't spent too many hours on court yet and I'm already in the fourth round, which is very good."

Casualties

Alexandr Dolgopolov avenged his five-set loss to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga at Wimbledon last year with a 3-6 6-3 3-6 6-1 6-1 win and the Frenchman, seeded 13, had no complaints.

Tsonga said: "He was better than me, that's it. He played a better match and was more consistent than me."

Seventh seed David Ferrer made smooth progress but 10th seed Mikhail Youzhny was another high-profile casualty after being stunned by the big-serving Milos Raonic, the Canadian winning 6-4 7-5 4-6 6-4.

Raonic, who had never beaten a top 10 player before, defeated German journeyman Bjorn Phau and French 22nd seed Michael Llodra in straight sets in his opening two matches and credited his performance in part to toning down the on-court tantrums.

"This was almost the reason why I lost last round in the quallies," he said. "I was able to change it around."

Raonic will now meet Ferrer following the Spaniard's 6-2 6-2 6-1 demolition of Lithuanian Richard Berankis.
Share this post :

Post a Comment

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. Sports Danka - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger