Woods has been honing his short game in readiness for 2011
Tiger Woods says he is looking forward to playing again at this week's Farmers Insurance Open after working hard on his short game.
The former world number one went winless in 2010 when his touch around the greens - usually the strongest part of his game - deserted him.
However, without the off-course distractions of the past 12 months Woods has been able to concentrate on bringing his game up to scratch.
"I didn't focus on my short game as much as I needed to and have in the past," he said.
"It was because I was making changes to my swing and I needed to spend more time on that. But I have had time to work on my short game during this off-season.
"You need to hit thousands of balls and we were not able to do that last year and last year was one of the worst putting years I have had.
The former world number one went winless in 2010 when his touch around the greens - usually the strongest part of his game - deserted him.
However, without the off-course distractions of the past 12 months Woods has been able to concentrate on bringing his game up to scratch.
"I didn't focus on my short game as much as I needed to and have in the past," he said.
"It was because I was making changes to my swing and I needed to spend more time on that. But I have had time to work on my short game during this off-season.
"You need to hit thousands of balls and we were not able to do that last year and last year was one of the worst putting years I have had.
Perspective
"It's been a while since I have had a full off-season. I've been hurt quite a bit over that period and it's nice to have a true off-season to work on my game.
"I was consumed by other things last year and had to deal with that, but life moves on and that's what's exciting. I have a proper perspective on things. My kids are doing great and golf is now somewhere down the list after that."
This week's event at Torrey Pines - formerly the Buick Open - is played at one of Woods' favourite layouts and is where he won the US Open in 2008 when playing with a serious knee injury.
He has been drawn to play the first two rounds with Rocco Mediate - whom Woods beat in an 18-hole play-off that year - and Anthony Kim, and is looking forward to getting back on the course.
"I bet the (PGA) commissioner couldn't believe his luck," Woods said of the draw.
"I'm looking forward to it. Rocco and I have had some history here but I have known him since my rookie year and it will be fun to play with him."

Post a Comment