World No.1 insists Players Championship does not fit schedule
Lee Westwood has confirmed that he does not intend to include the Players Championship on his schedule this season.
The tournament, often dubbed as the game's 'unofficial fifth major', is the richest event in the golfing calendar.
Westwood came close to winning the championship last year, eventually finishing fourth, but insists that he will not be competing at Sawgrass this time around because of the restrictions imposed by the PGA Tour.
As a non-member, Westwood is allowed only three regular tournament appearances outside the majors and world golf championships events, and has decided the Players does not fit in with his plans.
"I am not a member of the PGA Tour so I don't need to play the event," Westwood explained.
"There is a five-week gap between The Masters and the Match Play in Spain (on May 19-22, one week after the Players) and I want to play a couple of events in there.
"After the two opening World Golf Championships (events) I would bracket our (European Tour) PGA Championship in May as just as important as it offers exemption for anybody in the world's top 50 to play
"I don't see many of them (Americans) wanting to take up that offer. So you can't really please everyone, can you?
"I've said I will support the European Tour, so I am going to Asia."
The World No.1's other starts in America will be the Honda Classic in Florida in March, because it is the week between two world championships there, the Houston Open to warm up for the following week's Masters, and his defence of the St Jude Classic title in Memphis the week before the US Open in June.
"It's something I can't control," added Westwood who refused to join the PGA Tour having highlighted his desire to spend more time with his family.
The Englishman's stablemate Rory McIlroy has already intimated that he might also skip the tournament after deciding to end his PGA Tour membership this season.
The tournament, often dubbed as the game's 'unofficial fifth major', is the richest event in the golfing calendar.
Westwood came close to winning the championship last year, eventually finishing fourth, but insists that he will not be competing at Sawgrass this time around because of the restrictions imposed by the PGA Tour.
As a non-member, Westwood is allowed only three regular tournament appearances outside the majors and world golf championships events, and has decided the Players does not fit in with his plans.
"I am not a member of the PGA Tour so I don't need to play the event," Westwood explained.
"There is a five-week gap between The Masters and the Match Play in Spain (on May 19-22, one week after the Players) and I want to play a couple of events in there.
"After the two opening World Golf Championships (events) I would bracket our (European Tour) PGA Championship in May as just as important as it offers exemption for anybody in the world's top 50 to play
"I don't see many of them (Americans) wanting to take up that offer. So you can't really please everyone, can you?
"I've said I will support the European Tour, so I am going to Asia."
The World No.1's other starts in America will be the Honda Classic in Florida in March, because it is the week between two world championships there, the Houston Open to warm up for the following week's Masters, and his defence of the St Jude Classic title in Memphis the week before the US Open in June.
"It's something I can't control," added Westwood who refused to join the PGA Tour having highlighted his desire to spend more time with his family.
The Englishman's stablemate Rory McIlroy has already intimated that he might also skip the tournament after deciding to end his PGA Tour membership this season.

Post a Comment