Headlines News :
Home » , » Zvonareva eyes third final

Zvonareva eyes third final

Written By Sizzling LEO on Wednesday, January 26, 2011 | 1:56 AM

Beaten Wimbledon and the US Open finalist too strong for Kvitova

Vera Zvonareva took a giant step towards a third successive grand slam final after blowing away Petra Kvitova at the Australian Open.

Zvonareva, a beaten finalist at Wimbledon and the US Open in 2010, set up a semi-final showdown with Kim Clijsters after a 6-2 6-4 victory.

The second seed was simply too strong for Kvitova, although she did have to overcome a slight wobble in the second set.

Zvonareva had looked on course for a comfortable victory as she broke Kvitova three times in the opening set before establishing a 3-0 lead in the second.

Kvitova, who knocked out home favourite Sam Stosur in round three, responded well, though.

She broke the Russian twice to move into a 4-3 lead before Zvonareva regained her composure.

Zvonareva broke Kvitova to level the match at 4-4 and then agains to seal her passage into the last four.

"Petra has improved a lot and she has had a great run here," said Zvonareva.

Aggressive
"I knew it was going to be a tough match so I just tried to hang in there and stay aggressive."

And Zvonareva felt that aggressive approach helped provide the platform for the victory.

She said: "I think it was part of it, definitely. I had to stay aggressive. She's such an aggressive player herself.

"You don't want her to just keep going for her shots. I was trying to hang in there and fight for every point.

"But I'm really happy the way I handled the situation, and I was able to come up with some good shots when I needed it and finish in two sets.

"She is a very tough opponent. So I was trying to stick to my game plan and what I had to do today.

"I was trying to concentrate on myself, not pay attention to what was going on on the other side. I was trying to stay aggressive and keep fighting."
Share this post :

Post a Comment

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. Sports Danka - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger