Rovers boss not panicking about visa issues
Hull KR coach Justin Morgan says he does not have any major concerns over the delay in Willie Mason's arrival at the club.
The high-profile Australian recruit signed for Rovers in September but is still waiting for a visa that will clear him to travel to the UK.
The 30-year-old forward gained a Tongan passport in order to make the application possible but has still not travelled and will be unavailable for the first match of the engage Super League season.
But although Morgan admits he is disappointed to be without the services of Mason, he insists that there is no need to panic about the situation.
"I'm disappointed but I'm not frustrated. I'd much prefer to have him here than not here," Morgan said.
"Surprisingly, and a lot of people frown at this, but I'm not too bothered. I would prefer him to be here but he's not.
Depth
"If he was here to take up a position where we had a massive hole in our squad, I'd be frustrated, but he's not. I've said all along I'll play him as a back-row and we already have a fairly good one.
"The interest is there because he's such a big-name player. Normally, when you sign a player you keep it hush hush until you want to release it.
"With Willie, we signed him, agreed terms and signed the contract and put in the application. However, to the media and the fans it looks like it's taking a long time, where as this is often how long it normally takes."
Rovers were forced to endure a similar wait last year as prop Joel Clinton had his move delayed due to visa issues.
After watching Clinton flourish after his arrival, Morgan is hoping that Mason will do the same when he finally links up with the squad.
He added: "It's been well documented how we've had to take a different route with his passport, but we had a similar situation with Joel last season, so I know at some point, we're going go get a fresh player worrying how he's going to get in the team.
"I'm very comfortable with where we're at and I know Willie is, despite being more frustrated than anyone else. He's training by himself and we know when he gets here he'll take a while to settle in, but it's a long, hard season."
The high-profile Australian recruit signed for Rovers in September but is still waiting for a visa that will clear him to travel to the UK.
The 30-year-old forward gained a Tongan passport in order to make the application possible but has still not travelled and will be unavailable for the first match of the engage Super League season.
But although Morgan admits he is disappointed to be without the services of Mason, he insists that there is no need to panic about the situation.
"I'm disappointed but I'm not frustrated. I'd much prefer to have him here than not here," Morgan said.
"Surprisingly, and a lot of people frown at this, but I'm not too bothered. I would prefer him to be here but he's not.
Depth
"If he was here to take up a position where we had a massive hole in our squad, I'd be frustrated, but he's not. I've said all along I'll play him as a back-row and we already have a fairly good one.
"The interest is there because he's such a big-name player. Normally, when you sign a player you keep it hush hush until you want to release it.
"With Willie, we signed him, agreed terms and signed the contract and put in the application. However, to the media and the fans it looks like it's taking a long time, where as this is often how long it normally takes."
Rovers were forced to endure a similar wait last year as prop Joel Clinton had his move delayed due to visa issues.
After watching Clinton flourish after his arrival, Morgan is hoping that Mason will do the same when he finally links up with the squad.
He added: "It's been well documented how we've had to take a different route with his passport, but we had a similar situation with Joel last season, so I know at some point, we're going go get a fresh player worrying how he's going to get in the team.
"I'm very comfortable with where we're at and I know Willie is, despite being more frustrated than anyone else. He's training by himself and we know when he gets here he'll take a while to settle in, but it's a long, hard season."

Post a Comment